Expert Insights on How to Write a Catchy Essay
People today are great at communicating their point verbally but get baffled when it comes to writing it out, especially while writing long essays. It can be overwhelming and quite tedious, not to say time-consuming. But do not fret because here are a few tips on how you can write an essay.
Let’s begin with the process:-
- Start Early On Your Topic
The first thing you need to do is get a head-start. Start collecting material and brainstorming as soon as you receive a topic. In case you need to write on a topic of your own, choose it wisely. This is more important than reading about how to write an essay.
Drafting an outline for the essay is essential if you want to keep it structured. Focus on the number of paragraphs you would write and the various points that each one should convey.
- Introductory Paragraph
Understand the thesis or an argument like it is the back of your hand. The first paragraph sets the mood for your essay. It is imperative that you clearly and concisely frame your ideas. Your overview of the essay topic needs to have a coherent approach.
- Write the Body
Try to keep it as logical and analytical as possible. You can elaborate on all the separate points you listed during the outline. Please make sure you introduce each new concept before explaining it. Your prime focus should also be on the language and explanations. This is probably the most critical step of writing an essay.
Try keeping the conclusion all-encompassing. This paragraph should essentially provide a summary of your essay’s arguments, thoughts, or description. The approach to this paragraph should be short, spunky and precise. This is the opinion that your reader will take from your essay, so devote some time to it.
This is a crucial part of writing an essay. Sadly, many people skip this step. You need to read and edit your essay before submitting it because mistakes are bound to be in it. The optimal thing to do here would be to have someone else read it and give you suggestions. However, a critical self-read will also yield the required results.
Helpful editing tips
- Short sentences have a powerful impact. You could start by pruning the long sentences and avoiding irrelevant jargon.
- The language should be easy to understand and as per the tone of your essay. Try not to use overly tricky language.
- Look out for any duplication of ideas or repetition of words. Try to keep the arguments or ideas ordered chronologically in a sequence.
- Stress on the structure of an essay while editing. There is no point in going around in circles.
- Spellcheck is a good exercise. However, could you not rely on it entirely? Spellcheck only looks out for spelling mistakes. You could have accidentally used the wrong word altogether.
- Remove oxy-morons and tautologies. Even though they are clever, they tend to make reading tedious.
- Use a word check to keep a count on the same words. Remove unnecessary utilization of prepositions.
Everyone should be educated on writing an essay in today’s world, as these tips come in handy when it really matters. However, many professionals are selling their services in this domain. It will not be a bad idea to make use of these if you are not confident about your writing skills.